In memory of long-time member Florence Shay (1922-2012), the Midwest Chapter of the ABAA offers a $1,646 educational scholarship to attend the 2017 Colorado Antiquarian Book Seminar. It goes toward the total cost of tuition, room and board for one attendee at this year’s Seminar. This scholarship is offered to booksellers who are from the . . . read more
Upcoming Book Fairs
Member Sign In
- ABRAHAM LINCOLN BOOK SHOP INCSince 1938, Specialists in Lincoln, Civil War, and US Presidents.
- ALKAHEST BOOKSAmericana, Art, Literature, Fine Bindings; general stock.
- ARCHIVES BOOK SHOPGeneral stock of used books as well as rare and collectible books dating to 1600
- AUTUMN LEAVES BOOKSChicago, Folklore/Mythology, Children, Scholarly.
- BAY LEAF BOOKS, ABAAQuality books for readers and collectors.
- BEASLEY BOOKSModern First Editions; Jazz & Blues; African American Studies; Radical Literatur
- BIBLIODISIA BOOKSFine antiquarian and rare books in the Humanities as well as collectible out-of-...
- BOOKLADYHistory, especially American local history including Chicago; Genealogy, family ...
- BOOKLEGGER'S FINE BOOKS
- BOOKS & SUCHGeneral stock of out-of-print and used books; paper ephemera; postcards.
- BOOKS OF THE AGESSpecializing in Children's and Illustrated books
- BOOKWORKS10,000 Hardcover Books. Travel, History, Literature, Arts, Sciences, Wisconsin H...
- CHEQUAMEGON BOOK COMPANYOpen shop. Large selection. Emphasis on Regional History, Natural and general Sc...
- Cleveland Book CompanyBuying/selling rare, out-of-print, and fine books and ephemera in all subjects.
- COLUMBIA BOOKS, INC.35,000 volumes from new to antiquarian, maps, prints, periodicals and more!
- CURIOUS BOOK SHOPShop specialties are Science Fiction, Fantasy, Mystery, Children's, History...
- EVENING STAR BOOKSFine and rare books in many fields!
- EYEBROWSE BOOKSMajority of stock is Nonfiction with an emphasis on Transportation, Exploration ...
- FIREPROOF BOOKSFirst Editions of Modern Literature, Mystery & Crime Fictions, Humor, Poetry...
- FIRST FOLIOAntiquarian/Rare; Fine Bindings; Illustrated Books.
- GALAXY OF BOOKSGently used and out-of-print books. Military, Hunting, Nautical, New Age, Comics...
- GEORGE RITZLIN MAPS & BOOKS16th-19th Century Maps & Atlases; Cartographic Reference.
- GLOVER'S BOOKERY, ABAABuying and Selling Used and Rare Books since 1978
- GREEN GATE FARM ANTIQUARIAN BOOKSSpecializing in books and ephemera of the Arts & Crafts Movement in the US & UK.
- GREGORY C. GAMRADTRare & Scholarly books on Tibet, Central Asia, Mongolia, China, Japan, Southeast...
- JAMES & MARY LAURIE BOOKSELLERSFine books in many fields and more than 30,000 classical and jazz records. AABA
- JEFF HIRSCH BOOKSPhotography, Art, Design, Architecture, Modern Firsts, Poetry, Drama, Broadsides
- JERRY MERKELMilitary History; Regional Histories; Biography and Scholarly Books in all field...
- JETT W. WHITEHEAD RARE BOOKS (ABAA)Our focus is modern poetry in collector condition: Books; Broadsides; Chapbooks;...
- KUBIK FINE BOOKS LTDSpecialist in rare books of all types especially theology, military and history.
- KURT GIPPERT BOOKSELLER20,000+ antiquarian, collectible & out-of-print books, maps, prints, gift items
- LILLIAN A. CLARKCookbooks: All aspects of food, drink and the table arts. Cookery, Gastronomy, W...
- MAIN STREET FINE BOOKS & MANUSCRIPTS (ABAA)Serving book lovers, collectors and libraries since 1991. General antiquarian.
- MARGARET SODERBERG BOOKSELLERAviation History
- MIDWAY USED AND RARE BOOKSLarge (7000 sq. ft) general used and rare bookshop. Specialties include Art, His...
- OUT-OF-THE-WAY BOOKSAn eclectic selection of used and antiquarian books and related items.
- PLAIN TALES BOOKSPrinting and Typography, Cookbooks and Cookery. General used.
- POWELL'S BOOKS CHICAGOGeneral Out-of-Print books; scholarly books in all fields.
- PRAIRIE ARCHIVESGeneral used and Out-of-Print books. Maps, Prints and Paper. Specialize in Linco...
- RIVERTOWN FINE BOOKSBuying and Selling Used, Rare and Out-of-Print Books - Open Year Round
- rohebooksA broad range of general stock featuring Poetry, History, Philosophy & Religion.
- ROUND TABLE BOOKSRound Table Books, LLC, lists rare, beautiful and interesting books.
- RULON-MILLER BOOKSAmericana, Antiquarian & Rare, Literature, Philology, Travel/Exploration. Rare a...
- SHAW'S BOOKSCollectible Books & Ephemera - Fine Bindings, Maritime, Military, Automotive, Am...
- T E WARTH ESQ AUTOMOTIVE BOOKSOnly rare titles for the connoisseur.
- THE BOOK HOUSE - ST. LOUISBooksellers since 1986 New, used, rare & unusual books in all categories.
- THE BOOK HOUSE IN DINKYTOWNEst. 1986. New, used, rare and unusual in all categories. Member IOBA.
- THE BOOK STALL OF ROCKFORDGeneral stock of Used and Rare and scholarly books with larger holdings of Milit...
- THE BOOK STALL OF ROCKFORD - Antiques MallGeneral stock of 4,000 books with large holdings in Art, Antique Reference, Mili...
- THE FIRST EDITION RARE BOOKSPlease visit our website to explore our rare book inventory.
- THE LOOKING GLASS BOOKS823 South Oak Park Ave Oak Park IL 60304 www.thelookingglassbooks.com
- THEODORE J. HOLSTEN JR. BOOKSELLERUsed and Rare books specializing in Big Game Hunting. Exploration, especially Af...
- THOMAS A. LYONS FINE BOOKSSelect new & used. Collectible Modern First Editions in Fiction and Poetry.
- WEST SIDE BOOK SHOPGood general stock. Located in downtown Ann Arbor since 1975. Specializing in Mi...
- WM CAXTON LTD BOOKSELLER & PUBLISHERFine books in all subjects, especially History, Natural History, Mysteries Histo...
News & Updates
- The 2019 Florence Shay/Midwest Chapter CABS Scholarship
- Midwest Antiquarian Booksellers Association Board Meeting, December 3rd, 2017
- The 2018 Florence Shay / Midwest Chapter CABS Scholarship
- Midwest Antiquarian Booksellers Association Board Meeting, December 4, 2016
- The Florence Shay/Midwest Chapter CABS Scholarship
- Printed & Bound Volume 2 Number 1 February 2015 Issue
We will be reprinting back issues of the Printed & Bound newsletter on a weekly basis over the next few months. Printed & Bound focuses on the book as a collectible item and as an example of the printer’s art. It provides information about the history of printing and book production, guidelines for developing a . . . read more
Here’s a new book to look for next time you’re browsing your favorite independent bookstore. “My Florence” documents photographer Art Shay’s 70 year relationship with his wife Florence, who was of course a founding member of this organization. Another must-have new book is the revised & expanded edition of Paul & Beth Garon’s . . . read more
Juicy poetry items that Jett Whitehead of Bay City, MI will offer at the 53rd Chicago Book & Paper Fair:Ted Hughes. SELECTED POEMS: 1957-1967. New York: Harper & Row (1973) 1st edition, uncorrected galley proof, blue binding tape (as issued). The proof copy Harper & Row provided to the author, with his many corrections and . . . read more
A few photos taken at The Twin Cities Antiquarian Book Fair 2014. Thanks and congratulations to book fair manager Valerie Urban for another successful book fair!
By Carlos Martinez Bibliodisia Books, IOBA No one was more surprised than I when at last year’s book fair Chicagoans repaid my rather ordinary book collection with a sales volume I have only seen at Printers Row. Sure, Chicago has been called “the City of Big Readers” (someone misquoted Sandburg), but it can also be . . . read more
Here’s what people are saying about the 52nd Chicago Book and Paper Fair, held on October 5th, 2013: “If you like browsing antiquarian bookstores, this is a can’t miss event – having so many sellers in one place is great!” – Matt C. “Awesome! They had a good variety of books within everyone’s price range . . . read more
Bidding at a rare book auction. by Florence Shay Reprinted with permission of The Caxtonian “Fair warning… Sold for $750 to 77.” Recently, I attended an auction at Leslie Hindman Auctioneers on Lake Street, near Ogden Avenue, in Chicago. I hadn’t been to an auction in a long time. This auction was Modern Age. Seated . . . read more
Peter Dast of the Bookworks in Evansville, Wisconsin, has kindly sent us scans of two postcards announcing Midwest Bookhunters book fairs from back in the 1980s. “I was probably at the 1987 show,” he writes, “but not the 1984.” We publish these postcards hoping they will not be mistaken for announcements of coming events. More importantly, we . . . read more
A review by Joel Hyde A review of Allison Hoover Bartlett’s, The Man Who Loved Books Too Much: The True Story of a Thief, a Detective, and a World of Literary Obsession. New York: Riverhead Books/Penguin, 2009. Hardback, 274 pp. $24.95 In this book Allison Hoover Bartlett describes her investigations into the activities of John . . . read more